LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- When Darth Vader moonwalks and Donald Duck sports Imperial stormtrooper armor, something special must be happening.
With a heaping helping of Disney magic, the Star Wars galaxy will descend upon Walt Disney World Resort from 8 p.m.-1 a.m. on Aug. 14, 2010, for an exclusive party to let fans of the sci-fi saga provide a special send-off to Star Tours before the popular attraction "powers down" in preparation for a new, 3-D Star Wars adventure that will open in 2011 at Disneyland park in California and Disney's Hollywood Studios in Florida.
But before the blaster doors on the attraction close temporarily, Disney's Hollywood Studios theme park will host "Last Tour to Endor," an after-hours, private event that will feature live entertainment, Disney characters in their favorite Star Wars attire, a special Star Wars-themed fireworks spectacular, the "Death Star Disco," Jedi Training Academy, Star Wars trivia challenges and more.
And yes, Darth Vader may even moonwalk.
The Dark Lord of the Sith and his stormtroopers, known to many Disney guests for their Michael Jackson-like dance moves to songs like "Thriller" and "Beat It" during the popular "Hyperspace Hoopla" at the park's annual Star Wars Weekends event, will take the stage during the "Last Tour to Endor" for a special edition of "Hyperspace Hoopla." They will be joined by a cast of Star Wars characters moving and shaking to their favorite 1970s and 1980s dance tunes in the "Dance-Off with the Star Wars Stars."
"Dance-Off with the Star Wars Stars" premiered several years ago and has since become a hit not only for Star Wars Weekends guests each year, but also for millions more on YouTube. (See more detail about the "Dance-Off" at the "Last Tour to Endor" party below, including the scheduled cast of characters and tune selections.)
And while the Star Tours attraction serves as the galactic centerpiece of the celebration, "Last Tour to Endor" guests also will be able to enjoy other Disney's Hollywood Studios attractions during the evening, including The Twilight Zone™ Tower of Terror, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith, "The American Idol Experience," Toy Story Mania!, The Great Movie Ride and more.
"Last Tour to Endor" tickets are $75 in advance, and will be $89 at the gate (if available). Advance tickets may be purchased online at starwarscelebration.com.
Here are some other fast facts about the "Last Tour to Endor" party*:
• This is the largest private party ever held during a Star Wars Celebration.
• Fans are encouraged to get into the Star Wars spirit and dress in their favorite Star Wars costume for the event.
• Special Star Wars-themed entertainment, created just for this party, will be showcased throughout evening.
• Last Tour to Endor" event-exclusive memorabilia, collectibles and merchandise will be available for purchase at the party.
• Just like during Star Wars Weekends, Mickey Mouse and his pals plan to join the fun by dressing up as their favorite saga characters. Mickey Mouse becomes Jedi Mickey; Donald Duck becomes Stormtrooper Donald; Goofy does his best Darth Vader impersonation, and Minnie Mouse dons a honeybun-style wig and white dress in honor of Princess Leia.
• Free round-trip shuttles to the event from the Orange County Convention Center will be offered for Star Wars Celebration attendees.
• A salute to the Star Tours attraction will cap the evening in grand fashion.
• While the party officially begins at 8 p.m., "Last Tour to Endor" ticket holders can get a head-start on their theme park fun and enter Disney's Hollywood Studios as early as 4 p.m.
• Hyperspace Hoopla" will feature Star Wars characters stepping outside of their galaxy and putting on a display of dancing like never before. Here's the lineup scheduled for the "Last Tour of Endor" party:
"Grease is the word" that Chewie heard: Chewbacca, Han Solo and the Jawas put on their dancing shoes (except Chewbacca, of course, who will be frantically moving his furry feet) and perform a tune from the 1978 hit movie-musical "Grease." In fact, Rebel spies have provided initial intel that Chewbacca's fur will be fashioned into a 1950s pompadour hairstyle just for the occasion.
"Nobody puts Leia in a corner": Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia will go back to the 1980s with a dance number from the box-office hit "Dirty Dancing."
"Strike a pose, there's nothing to it": Some of the most famous females from the Star Wars saga -- including Queen Amidala, Ahsoka Tano, Zam Wessel and Aurra Sing -- will join forces for an ensemble dance number set to one of the biggest pop hits by the "material girl" herself, Madonna.
King of Pop, or King of the Dark Side?: Returning by popular demand will be Darth Vader and his crew of dancing stormtroopers, cutting a rug (and no, not cutting it with a light saber) to a hit medley from the King of Pop, Michael Jackson. At previous "Hyperspace Hooplas," the Dark Lord has been known to even don a single, sequined glove as he channels the iconic music superstar.
For tickets and more information about the "Last Tour to Endor" event, guests may visit starwarscelebration.com.
*Note: Event activities subject to change without notice
The previous post in this blog was New Disney Resort in Hawaii Begins Taking Reservations for 2011 Stays – Opening Date Set.
The next post in this blog is Walt Disney World Resort Expands Relationship with HP Into Youth Sports at ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex.